Monday, 15 January 2007

Tigers update – Saturday report and “big diocesan cup clash”

Saturday’s encounter with QPR at home lasted a total of 100 minutes and finished at the ridiculously late time of 5 O’clock. This was mainly down to Rangers’ players going down regularly like a sack of spuds to time waste, their only hope of defending their slim one goal advantage. It was also a scrappy - and dare I say it – dirty encounter. Some of the challenges by QPR (and by us, a couple of times) were cynical. QPR’s keeper must have had shares in a paint company, with City hitting the woodwork on two occasions in the second half. My good friend Martin McAllister sitting next to me announced that it wasn’t our day. But thankfully, he was wrong.

On the stroke of the 80th minute, on came Stuart Elliott, the Northern Ireland international and Christian (of some description, not quite sure what). Ten minutes later, I nearly had a heart attack as he had scored not just the equaliser, but also the winner to snatch all three points in a crucial relegation battle. To say I went a bit crazy was an understatement. Mr Elliott – super sub or what! He told the Hull Daily Mail: “To get two goals was beyond what I could have hoped for but I believe in the great God so anything is possible.” Good man.

Tomorrow night, it’s the big Diocese of Middlesbrough clash. The only two professional football clubs in the Diocese, Middlesbrough and Hull City, will battle it out at the Riverside for a place in the 4th Round of the FA Cup. The replay follows a pulsating 1-1 draw last Saturday at the Kingston Communications Stadium.

I’m going up in the afternoon with the McAllister’s (unfortunately without Martin because he’s got an exam). The only setback is that Nicky Barmby is injured and will be unlikely to face his former club. But after Saturday’s emphatic comeback, who knows what might happen? Hopefully there will be a few glum faces at the Knights of St Columba Club in the Boro tomorrow night.

Match report to follow on Wednesday…

No comments: