Tuesday, 25 May 2010

Personal announcement

Today has been a very joy filled day. As some of you may already know, I have been applying for the seminary for the Diocese of Middlesbrough and Bishop Terry Drainey today accepted me. I'll be studying at the Royal English College in Valladolid for a year, starting in September.

I would say that my discernment has grown more intense over the last two years as I found myself deepening my prayer life and asking God what he wanted of me. A sense of a vocation to the priesthood started to niggle away at me to the point at which the most comfortable thing to do was apply.

As I've said all along in interviews, the main reason I can give for going for priestly formation is an understanding that, as a Catholic, you want to do God's will whatever vocation that may be. I have developed a sense that God is directing me towards priesthood and, as a natural conclusion, and through a lot of prayer, I am where I am today.

It's a particular joy to make this decision during the Year of the Priest. Many priests have been a great example to me over the years and their ministry has inspired me to consider a vocation to the priesthood. I would like to thank all those who have helped me encounter Christ and deepen my knowledge of the faith. And, of course, I continue to ask for your prayers.

12 comments:

Sydney Catholic said...

That is very good news. As the mother of a priest, who also spent his first year of formation in Valladolid, I assure you of my prayers and best wishes.

EFpastor emeritus (Email: Pastoremeritus@aol.com) said...

Prayerful good wishes

Patricius said...

Congratulations! Will pray for you.

Lucy said...

Dear Richard, you do not know me and I saw this news on another blog I sometimes read but I wanted to come and let you know that we will be praying for you: we LOVE praying for seminarians as much as we love to pray for priests! I have just been reading about this very college and how many of the early priests who went there died from the awful climate (?) so I hope it is nicer nowadays but will build you up in faith as it did those brave priests and martyrs. What a glorious heritage for you. St Henry Walpole pray for you.

Gregory the Eremite said...

Bravo!

torchofthefaith said...

Dear Richard

We express to you our best wishes and assure you of our prayers.

God bless and keep you
Alan and Angeline

Kate said...

Wonderful news, congratulations!
Will remember you in our prayers, as we pray for our son Phil, who is also applying for the sacred priesthood.Things have gone well for him so far, and he will be interviewed by the Bishop next month.

marsden said...

Thank you for the comments and prayers. And to Kate, I'll keep your son in my prayers as well.

Lucy - yes, there are some great saints and blessed martyrs that went to the college who will all be a fantastic example to follow. As I've said many a time on the blog, the English martyrs are not given enough attention.

Yvonne_M_Lewis said...

Enhorabuena, Richard Paul. Your Grandmother, Joan, is my Godmother and your randfather, my Godfather. I have the same name as your Great Aunt, Yvonne. Our name is shared with my daughter who has been working as Prison Chaplain with your Uncle,also a Priest.My husband and I have lived on the East coast of Spain now for 7 years where our Faith surrounds us in the local culture. Anda con Dios, Yvonne Mary Lewis

Brid priest said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Brid priest said...

Nooooooooooooooo!

We can't be that desperate!

Just wait until you're my curate.....

Tony said...

I hope you're more successful than I am (I was accepted but have backed off for the time-being). I remember reading one of your posts a couple of years ago and thinking to myself (and commenting here) that you would do well to consider the priesthood. I'm glad to see that you are!

I hope you enjoy Valladolid (I've never had the opportunity to visit there, but I know several who have) and that your path of discernment is easy and true. You and all other seminarians, who are so desperately needed, will be in my prayers.